Sunday 16 May 2010

Band Of Skulls

Okay so... This weekend has been one of many good times. It's been based mainly on my favorite thing in life: Music. I took a little trip to Brighton to see an awesome little lady who has a taste in music as great as me (blowing my horn a bit there but.... It has to be said. HA!) My lovely little Lisa shaped friend works for Levis and got me freebies to the Great Escape festival... We hung out in bars with free drinks, ate cheap Japanese and then proceeded on to listen to some awesome bands, accompanied by her ever so intelligent friend Caroline who was working for the press and Lisa's Levi GANG! (well 2 of them anyway) :)

James, Caroline and Tiff :)
Lisa Levi Bramble Bush :)
Caroline & I - With our cool kid ''Sailor Jerry'' Tatts :)

Anyway... We headed to a niche little pub called Hectors House where Band Of Skulls were playing, we arrived a couple of hours early to watch a couple of bands... One of them being the upbeat, pop/ folk sounding ''Kassidy'' and ''Detroit Social Club'' who I can only described as sounding like a ''lad band'' the kind you'd associate with, the courteners, Kasabian and Oasis, though Kasabian are becoming a league of their own, still... Not bearded enough for me.

(Now I always feel a bit odd writing about band's/gigs/ artists because I feel like I am going to get judged on ''not knowing what I'm talking about'' I don't know how to word it all in some sort of, professional or intelligent? way, with that in mind I'm going to write what I think anyway and hopefully... I won't sound too much of a know it all...That'll never happen :)
Kassidy - Nice and bearded :)
Detroit Social Club - Put on a good show.
Back to the point... Band Of Skulls scheduled to play at 10.30 didn't rock up until about 11, which, at the time I thought was extremely diva-ish of them, considering I see them standing there in the corner having a drink... This made me feel like loosing interest in them, you know? for making us wait? BUT ALL was forgiven when they played.... As soon as they started to play, you could see they really enjoyed playing and gave it their all, they missed out a few songs from the album but what they delivered was EPIC. They played: Death by Diamonds and Pearls (which if I remember correctly they opened with) Fires, Patterns, Blood and they finished with my favorite track from the album ''Impossible''.



Yeah... He loves me and my picture taking :)



As you can see... The crowd were fun :)

B.O.S could easily be branded Britain's answer to the White Stripes, Dead Weather, Kills.... They are quite simply one of the coolest bands going at the moment, to listen to and learn from. They ooze everything needed to qualify for a band that will grow and grow musically, their debut album ''baby darling dollface honey'' has already proved to fans that they have it in them to compose and write great emotional, strong minded, clever tracks and experiment with the sounds they use.... Tracks like ''Blood'' is evidence that, they know how to add some blues into thier sound, whereas tracks like ''death by diamonds and pearls'' give them their rock n roll edge.
There's no sort of attitude with them, they play and enjoy it, they don't feel the need to do any preaching or showing off and thats what (for me) makes a great band... They clearly care about the music they make more than the fame that's coming along with it... And I'm pretty sure that, there will be lots of fame coming their way, if they keep on making that shithot music they do :)



Peace x

No comments:

Post a Comment